$5000 - $19000
What is a diastasis recti repair?
A diastasis recti repair is a cosmetic surgery to repair a diastasis recti, which is defined as abdominal muscle separation along the midline of the rectus abdominis muscle post pregnancy.
The Anatomy of the Abdominal Wall
A diastasis repair can also address hernias, especially an umbilical hernia (through the belly button). In most women diastasis recti or the post pregnancy "pooch" spontaneously resolves following childbirth, however, in some women the abdominal muscles will stay separated leading to a loose, sagging abdominal appearance. Women who have undergone a c-section may be more at risk. Diastasis recti can also occur in men typically secondary to poor workout and lifting techniques.
A diastasis recti repair is usually performed in conjunction with an abdominoplasty or tummy tuck to address loose skin, excess skin, and excess fat. For some individuals, physical therapy with a certified physical therapist can assist with diastasis repair.
What cosmetic concerns does a diastasis recti repair procedure treat?
- Abdominal Contour: A diastasis recti repair sutures the abdominal muscles back together along the midline to restore the abdominal wall for improved contour and definition.
- Mommy Makeover: For women who have abdominal wall separation following pregnancy, a diastasis recti repair can restore appearance and function.
Who is the ideal candidate for a diastasis recti repair procedure?
The ideal candidate for a diastasis recti repair has abdominal separation along the midline that is resistant to an exercise program, physical therapy, and loss of baby weight. A diastasis recti repair is not recommended for those who have not first implemented a diet and exercise routine, or those who are less than one year postpartum.
What is the average recovery associated with a diastasis recti repair procedure?
Most patients experience two to four weeks of acute recovery following a diastasis recti repair, although swelling can persist for up to six weeks and full recovery can take one year. Drains will be removed after two weeks, and a compression garment will be worn for three to four weeks. Most candidates return to work after one to two weeks.
What are the potential side effects of a diastasis recti repair procedure?
Possible side effects of a diastasis recti repair include scarring, unsatisfactory results, bruising, pain, discomfort, and prolonged swelling.
What can someone expect from the results of a diastasis recti repair procedure?The results of a diastasis recti repair will finalize within three to 12 months, but will be visible immediately after the procedure. The results will be affected by pregnancy and significant weight gain or weight loss.
What is the average cost of a diastasis recti repair procedure?
A diastasis recti repair can cost anywhere from $5,000 to $19,000. The actual cost of a diastasis recti repair is dependent upon location, board certified plastic surgeon, and length and involvement of the plastic surgery.
- Repair Muscles
- More Defined Stomach
- More Defined Muscles
- Repair Hernia
- Only Addresses Muscles
- Additional Procedure For Skin
What to Expect
Diastasis recti, also known as abdominal separation, describes a condition when the stomach sticks out because the muscles in the abdomen have widened. Here is quick guide for what to expect before, during, and after a diastsis recti repair surgery.
- Stop smoking 4 weeks before and after the procedure
- Stop taking blood thinning medication 2 weeks before and after surgery
- Start taking stool softeners 2 days before surgery
- General anesthesia
- Horizontal incision between belly button and pubic area
- Skin and tissue undermined and elevated to the belly button
- Incision made around belly button to free umbilical stalk
- Abdominal dissection and elevation continued to bottom of rib cage
- Separated abdominal muscles stitched back together
- Belly button reattached
- Abdominal skin pulled back down to pubic area
- Sutures to close
Immediately After Treatment
- Pain and discomfort
- Swelling and changes in sensation
A diastasis recti repair is a plastic surgery most often performed to correct the post pregnancy "pooch" caused by abdominal separation.