$3000 - $15000
Before & After Images by Provider
Before & After Images by Provider
What is an abdominoplasty (a.k.a. tummy tuck)?
An Abdominoplasty (a.k.a. tummy tuck) is a plastic surgery procedure to contour and define the abdomen. In an abdominoplasty, excess skin and excess fat is removed, and skin is repositioned into a tighter, smoother position. Loose abdominal skin and collections of stubborn fat deposits may occur due to aging, pregnancy, or weight loss.
The Anatomy of the Abdominal Wall
What cosmetic concerns does an abdominoplasty procedure treat?
- Abdominal Contour: Removal of loose skin, excess skin, and excess fat with repositioning of the skin allows for the creation of a tighter, more contoured abdomen.
- Mommy Makeover: Skin laxity from pregnancy can be corrected via an abdominoplasty.
Who is the ideal candidate for an abdominoplasty procedure?
The ideal candidate for an abdominoplasty is in generally good health, at a stable weight, and following a diet and exercise regimen. Abdominoplasty is not recommended for those who are significantly overweight or those whose weight is unstable.
What is the average recovery associated with an abdominoplasty procedure?
Complete recovery from an abdominoplasty may take up to six months, however, patients typically begin to resume activities after two to three weeks. Most candidates return to work after two weeks. There are restrictions on exercise for up to four weeks. A compression garment is advised for the first three to four weeks.
To better understand the healing and downtime associated with the procedure, check out our complete guide to tummy tuck recovery.
What are the potential side effects of an abdominoplasty procedure?
Possible side effects following an abdominoplasty include bruising, blood clots, pain, swelling, infection, asymmetry, and scarring.
What can someone expect from the results of an abdominoplasty procedure?The results of an abdominoplasty are immediately visible, permanent enhancements to the abdominal area. The results will finalize over six months, and will be affected by significant weight changes or pregnancy.
What is the average cost of an abdominoplasty procedure?An abdominoplasty can cost anywhere from $3,000 to $15,000. The actual cost of abdominoplasty is dependent upon location, board certified plastic surgeon, and length and involvement of the plastic surgery. Learn more in our [complete guide to the cost of a tummy tuck](https://aedit.com/procedure/tummy-tuck-abdominoplasty/cost).
- Flat Tummy
- Youthful Body
What to Expect
Abdominoplasty is a surgical procedure that removes excess skin and fat from the stomach area for a smoother, tighter mid-section. Here is a quick guide for what to expect before, during, and after an abdominoplasty procedure.
- Stop smoking 4 weeks before and after surgery
- Stop using blood thinning medications for at least 1-2 weeks
- Start taking stool softeners 2 days before surgery
- General anesthesia
- Horizontal incision above pubic hairline
- Skin undermined for removal
- Muscles repaired to correct herniation
- Incision around the navel may be required
- Abdominal skin pulled downwards
- Excess skin and fat excised
- Skin sutured into lower and tighter position
- New opening for belly button created
- Sutures and skin adhesives to close incisions
Immediately After Treatment
- Mild to moderate pain
- Swelling and tightness
An abdominoplasty, or tummy tuck, is a cosmetic surgery to remove excess skin and fat from the abdomen for improved body contours and a smoother, tighter stomach.