Try on Forehead Reduction Solutions
‘Try on’ aesthetic procedures and instantly visualize possible results with AEDIT and our patented 3D aesthetic simulator.
When it comes to the face, we all know about nose jobs, lip enhancement, and good old Botox®. But what about the forehead? Forehead shape and size is a major component of the facial aesthetic and is heavily influenced by hairline and brow shape. Excessive distance between the hairline and the brow line, an overly prominent brow, or a receding hairline can all lead to a large forehead appearance (learn more in our complete guide to Forehead Shape & Size Concerns). Fortunately, numerous plastic surgery procedures exist including forehead reduction surgery, hair transplantation, hair restoration, and a forehead lift.
Before & After Images by Provider
Before & After Images by Provider
Forehead Reduction Solutions
Who may consider a forehead reshaping procedure?
A disproportionately large forehead can influence the entire symmetry of the face. Genetics, gender, and age, control the bone structure, the brow line, and the hairline. Depending on your unique anatomy there are three subcategories for forehead concerns overviewed below:
- Large Forehead: A large forehead is perceived as too much skin surface between the superior (upper) portion of the forehead, which is the hairline, and the inferior (lower) portion at the brow line.
- Heavy Brow: A heavy brow is one that appears overly prominent or out of proportion to other facial features. This can create the false appearance of a large forehead.
- Receding Hairline: Whether from genetics or age, a receding hairline will cause a perceived widening between the hairline and brow line leading to a large forehead.
What can you expect from a forehead shaping procedure?
There are numerous procedures varying in invasiveness to address forehead shape and size. Invasive surgical procedures can have far reaching impact, while a hair transplant procedure can change forehead appearance while simultaneously improving hair volume, health, and length. The nature of your individual concern or concerns will determine which procedure is most appropriate.
- Forehead Reduction (Hair Lowering): This procedure aims to surgically reduce forehead size by removing excess skin and lowering the hairline closer to the brow to shrink the distance from brow to hairline.
- Brow Lift: A brow lift surgical procedure alters the brow line rather than the hairline to change forehead appearance. In this case brows are restored from a sagging/aged position to appear more youthful and toned.
- Hair Transplant: Hair transplants or hair restoration procedures make use of one of many restorative options to promote improvements in hair growth, health, volume, and length. This can correct a receding hairline, enhance a brow appearance, or provide more volume for styling.
Recovery periods vary by procedure with surgical options necessitating more time for healing. The permanence of results is also dependent on the procedure utilized. With some procedures, hair, eye, forehead, and overall facial aesthetic can be greatly enhanced simultaneously.
When should you consider a forehead shaping procedure?
The timing of the procedure is dependent on your underlying concern. Generally, good candidates should have ruled out underlying medical illness, be in good health, and be prepared for needed recovery time.
For those pursuing a surgical forehead reduction or brow lift, the time to pursue treatment is a personal decision whether the cause is genetics or aging. Individuals electing for hair transplant procedures will experience the most benefit the earlier in the hair loss process they pursue treatments.
Why should you consider a forehead shaping procedure?
As with any cosmetic procedure, the “why” is entirely unique to the individual. Genetics, the hands of Father Time, and changes to your luscious locks may create an undesirable forehead appearance. All forehead procedures will benefit overall facial aesthetic, and for some will also address changes to their eye and hair appearance. Maybe we should change the 'why' to a 'why not?'
Forehead Reduction Procedures
A forehead reduction or scalp advancement will surgically alter the position of the hairline in relation to the brow line, diminishing the vertical distance of the forehead. This is not recommended for patients with significant hair loss.
Brow Lift Procedures
A brow lift surgery will change the position of the browline, and simultaneously enhance the appearance of the eye. The overall aesthetic of the forehead will change as skin in the area is restored and tightened.
Hair Transplant Procedures
Hair transplant procedures can improve hair density, length, health, and appearance. By restoring the hairline, the forehead appears more proportioned and your mane gets an upgrade too. Note: enhancements to the eyebrow hair can also impact the appearance of the forehead and hair transplants can be utilized similarly in this area.
Forehead size and shape has significant influence on facial aesthetic (look no further than Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein for proof). Luckily, with the help of a plastic surgeon, it is possible to create your ideal appearance through effective procedures like a hair transplant, hair restoration, forehead reduction surgery, or brow lift.