$7000 - $14000
Before & After Images by Provider
Before & After Images by Provider
What is a forehead reduction?
A forehead reduction (a.k.a. a hairline lowering procedure or scalp advancement) is a plastic surgery procedure to create a smaller forehead and correct the appearance of a high hairline or receding hairline. A Forehead Reduction is not recommended for individuals with active or advanced hair loss as this procedure alters the hairline and can cause hair loss.
Some forehead reduction procedures are combined with a hair grafting or hair transplant technique to simultaneously improve the hairline, augment hair restoration, and optimize the overall aesthetic. Forehead reduction is commonly used for facial feminization.
What cosmetic concerns does a forehead reduction procedure treat?
- Forehead Shape & Size: In a forehead reduction, or hairline lowering surgery, the hairline is advanced towards the eyes to alter the appearance of the brow, forehead, and hairline.
- Hair Loss: For those experiencing unwanted changes to their hairline, a forehead reduction surgery can change the shape.
- MTF Gender Confirmation: A forehead reduction can help MTF transgender candidates acheive their authentic body aesthetic.
Who is the ideal candidate for a forehead reduction procedure?
The ideal candidate for a forehead reduction plastic surgery procedure are women with a high hairline or large forehead with thick hair, or men with more than three quarters of an inch of lowering need. A Forehead Reduction procedure is not recommended for those who have had a coronal brow lift, poor scalp laxity, hair transplant via strip excision, thin hair or active hair loss, or darker skin.
What is the average recovery associated with a forehead reduction procedure?
The acute recovery period following a forehead reduction procedure lasts two to three weeks and consists of inflammation, pain, tightness, bruising, itchiness, and numbness. Fine hairs may shed, and normal hair returns after about three months. The scar may remain red and elevated for two to six months. Most patients return to work after one week, and resume most all normal activities after three weeks.
What are the potential side effects of a forehead reduction procedure?
The possible side effects following a forehead reduction procedure include bleeding, pain, changes in expression, poor wound healing, prolonged swelling, bruising down into the under eye, hair loss around the scar, infection at the incision site, changes in sensation, and asymmetry.
What can someone expect from the results of a forehead reduction procedure?
The results of a forehead reduction procedure are immediately noticeable and permanent enhancements to forehead shape and forehead size. The final results, however, will evolve over about 12 to 18 months as the body heals.
What is the average cost of a forehead reduction procedure?
A forehead reduction procedure can cost anywhere from $7,000 to $14,000. The actual cost of a forehead reduction is dependent upon location, board certified facial plastic surgeon, and length and involvement of the plastic surgery.
- Restore Facial Proportions
- Youthful Appearance
- Reduce Temporal Hair Loss
- Alleviate Upper Forehead Wrinkles
- Possible Visible Scar
- Hair Loss
What to Expect
Forehead reduction, commonly referred to as hairline lowering, moves down the location of where the hairline begins. Here is a quick guide for what to expect before, during, and after a forehead reduction.
- Stop taking blood thinning medications for 2 weeks
- Stop smoking 4 weeks before and after surgery
- No alcohol 2 days prior
- Do not eat or drink for at least 6 hours before
- Local anesthesia with sedation or general anesthesia
- Incision will be in a zigzag pattern to mimic a natural hairline
- Skin is excised
- Hairline advanced forward
- Sutures to close
Immediately After Treatment
- Forehead is swollen and bruised
A forehead reduction surgery, or hairline lowering, performed by an expert plastic surgeon can significantly enhance the facial aesthetic through alterations to the hairline.